Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas 2011

Christmas was fabulous this year. Even though it was chaotic as usual, especially adding another child to the mix, it was so much fun and we feel so blessed to have such amazing families. My house has totally been taken over by toys and we are still sneaking things up into the closets to pull out later in the year for Brady. Since his birthday is in one week he is so overloaded with toys this time of year. I love being able to pull out a new toy every few months. It's like Christmas all over again for him. I was determined this year to make sure Brady truly understood the meaning of Christmas. Well, that didn't work out so well because he could not understand why it was Jesus' birthday on Christmas and not his. I know it must be confusing to open presents on someone else's birthday. We'll try again next year. I think I'm going to read him the "real" Christmas story all year long so he gets it by next Christmas. We'll see. :) So here is how Christmas was for us:

Our first celebration was with Austin's dad, Opa, and his wife, Oma. Brady just loves his Opa and Oma and really enjoys spending time with his cousins. At Christmas there were the 3 big cousins and Brooklyn. Since Christmas we have added 2 more babies. Very exciting!

Brady (almost 3), Madelein (1), William (almost 4). Of course my child is being a total ham.
This is what Brooklyn did while everyone opened presents.
Brady and William always have so much fun together. They loved playing with each other's toys.
Look who woke up! She woke up for a little while so she could show off her cute smile.
Lovin' on Oma.

So Christmas Eve did not go how we planned it at all. That is just how life with kids go. Brooklyn had a cold and felt horrible that day and Brady was just worn out from so much fun. Austin got a migraine in the afternoon which, with all 3 combined, kept us from going to the Christmas Eve service. We went to my grandmother's house for dinner and presents and Brady actually slept on her bed all the way through dinner. My boy who never naps. :) He woke up just in time to inhale some food and open presents. He was nice and perky by then.

Here is Brady with my cousin's little girls. He has so much fun with Chayse and Avery and they are so sweet to him. They are posing on these really cool stairs that my aunt had made for Brady. They are next to his bed and make it so much easier for him to climb up on his super tall bed. He loves them so much!

So Christmas Day...started out at our house just the 4 of us. And really it was just the 3 of us because Brooklyn was kind enough to sleep in so big brother could have all of our attention. I can not even put into words the excitement Brady had over Christmas morning. It was definitely contagious.
This is Brooklyn's stuff. Sad looking I know, but we figured she had no clue what was going on this year so no need to go overboard.
Now here is Brady's stack. Austin and I have a budget each year for each person. Christmas Eve when we were setting out the kids presents he asked me, "are you sure you stuck to the budget? This is just so much stuff." I responded by explaining to him that we have a budget by dollar amount and not by amount of presents. And I did stick to the budget!
My precious boy!
He got lots of books of course.
We got him a Melissa and Doug cutting set so he could practice cutting. He had it down in 2 seconds.
We also got him a chef's kit because he loves cooking with me. He now has his own spoons, spatula, measuring cups, bowls and of course a chef's hat. :)

After opening presents at our house we went to my parents house. My brother and his wife were here this year and we had a blast and were each spoiled like crazy.
Brooklyn's Christmas outfit. :)
He had not trouble tearing into his and Brooklyn's presents.
My cute parents.
This is what Brooklyn did while we opened presents. Notice a trend!
Brady got a grill from my parents and he had to take it in the kitchen and cook while his Nonna was making lunch. He is soooo stinking cute!
Later that day my Aunt came over and gave Brady his first bike. It's one of those balance bikes that has no pedals but teaches them balance and how to use a bike. Brady is already a pro and loves riding on it.

We had an amazing Christmas and are sad its over. We are blessed beyond measure and are so grateful for all the wonderful friends and family that God has placed in our lives. Happy 2012!

1 comment:

Team Hoff said...

I saw Brooklyn all wrapped up in her miracle blanket...I hope it's helping! Cute pics of Christmas. The next time I come up we definitely have to get the kids together.

4th of July